In this conversation, we talk to Sarah Johnson, a business owner who runs her e-commerce business from a motorhome. Sarah started her business to pursue her passion for crafting and to have the freedom to work and travel from anywhere. She had to carefully plan and research how to run a business from a motorhome, including purchasing a motorhome, and ensuring she had all necessary equipment and facilities to run her business.
Sarah shares some of the challenges she has faced while running her business on the road, such as maintaining a reliable internet connection, managing her time effectively, and building and maintaining a customer base while being nomadic.
She also shares some tips for others considering a similar lifestyle, such as prioritizing their needs, embracing flexibility, connecting with other travellers, and taking care of themselves.
Could you tell us about the nature of your business and the duration of its operation?
What inspired you to start your business, and what steps did you take to bring your entrepreneurial dream to life?
Have you always harboured a passion for traveling and exploring new places?
How challenging was it for you to take the decisive step and initiate your journey towards a nomadic lifestyle?
Did you already own a motorhome or did you buy one specifically for your business venture?
No, I did not own a motorhome before starting my business. Purchasing a motorhome was actually one of the first steps I took in setting up my business.
I knew that in order to run my business from the road, I needed a comfortable and reliable motorhome that would allow me to travel and work from anywhere. I spent a lot of time researching different types of motorhomes, and eventually settled on one that was the right size and had all the necessary amenities to support my business needs.
While purchasing a motorhome was a significant investment, it was essential to my dream, and I have not regretted the decision.
What difficulties have you experienced and how did you overcome them?
What are your preferred places to stay while on the road, and what are some key facilities or amenities that you prioritize when selecting a location?
If someone were interested in pursuing a similar lifestyle, what advice or suggestions would you offer to help them get started and navigate the challenges?
- Plan ahead: Before embarking on a nomadic lifestyle, it’s important to plan ahead and research the logistics of running a business from a motorhome. This includes identifying a suitable business idea, purchasing or leasing a motorhome, and ensuring that you have all the necessary equipment and technology to run your business remotely.
- Prioritize your needs: It’s important to prioritize your needs when selecting a motorhome and choosing locations to stay in. Make a list of the essential facilities and amenities that you need to run your business and ensure that the locations you choose offer these amenities.
- Embrace flexibility: The nomadic lifestyle requires a great deal of flexibility and adaptability. Be prepared to change your plans on short notice and adjust your routines and schedules as needed to accommodate unexpected events and changes in the weather.
- Connect with other travellers: The nomadic lifestyle can be isolating at times, so it’s important to connect with other travellers and build a sense of community. Attend events and conferences, join online communities, and connect with other business owners who are living a similar lifestyle.
- Take care of yourself: Running a business from a motorhome can be challenging, both mentally and physically. It’s important to prioritize self-care and take breaks as needed to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance.